In the Orchards, California almond growers…
- Led the way in the adoption of Integrated Pest Management Programs developed by the University of California, employing alternative tools to manage insect pests and diseases to reduce or eliminate pesticide usage
- Monitor their orchard’s water consumption using the latest tools and employ low volume irrigation methods to maximize irrigation efficiency
- Are adopting the latest innovations in plant nutrition developed by the University of California designed to match their fertilizer applications to the crop’s nutrient requirements. This minimizes the amount of fertilizer used, reducing volatilization to the atmosphere and leaching beyond the root zone
- Employ the use of compost materials to enhance soil fertility
- Shred brush pruned from the trees in the orchard to increase soil organic matter content, eliminating burning of orchard waste
- Manage the orchard floor to maximize harvest efficiencies. This reduces the number of equipment passes needed to harvest the crop and the dust created during the harvest.
In the Plant, Blue Diamond Growers…
- Employs a continuous improvement process in its processing operations, seeking to reduce inputs and waste while improving the quality of our products
- Utilizes High Performance Work Teams to quickly respond to and correct problems during processing, maximizing efficiencies
- Has converted our plants to LED lighting to reduce energy requirements
- Curtails refrigeration requirements by chilling product only during off-peak hours
- Has converted all trucks to low-emission vehicles to reduce air pollution
All this has occurred while increasing throughput and prime yields, to process our member/growers crop at the highest efficiency and lowest cost.